Wednesday, July 15, 2015

Uganda team 19 Day 18 & beyond

Day 18 and beyond!

Day 18 was an early wake up…  3.30am. With our bags all packed the night before we were ready for the journey back to Entebbe airport bound for Nairobi.  The time needed to be there on time for our flight was ‘flexible’ (as time is in Africa) depending on what the early morning rush in Kampala looked like. As it happened, we made it to the airport in record time, 2hr 45mins!!  So an hour was spent in the car park eating the rolls prepared for us by Di, Maddie and Sue, until the check in for our flight was opened.
On our arrival in Nairobi we flew through the immigration so fast and the baggage was out in no time. We are not used to this speed anymore!!
A short wait for our ACTS drivers as they had the wrong arrival time, then we hit the road, headed for Ol Pejeta conservancy, ready to see some wildlife…
Our arrival at Sweetwaters Tented Camp after about 5 hours of travelling came along with oohs and aahs, as we were greeted with hot towels and fresh juice. We decided the animals could wait until morning, choosing to find our tents and relax a bit before supper…
After a supper where most of us discovered the old parable that our ‘eyes were bigger than our stomachs’, we all pretty much bailed and went to bed by 8.45. The discovery of hot water bottles in our beds ready to warm us up (the Kenyan plains are cold at night) was a nice surprise!

Next morning, all set to go on our first game drive at 6.15, after a coffee of course. We headed out as the dawn began on the plains, seeing an awesome sunrise and animals slowly coming out.  After a few Impalas, wart hogs, rhinos and jackals, we got a call on the radio that there was a lioness out on the prowl, so in true safari drive fashion our drive sped it up and we bounced our way as fast as we could to the spot. We got there and were treated to some very close up moments with the lioness as she wandered along growling. She came within 2 feet of our vehicle, which was quite special! After that we headed out to the Rhino sanctuary where they take care of a blind Rhino that wouldn’t survive if left on the plains. He is kept in a 4 acre fenced area and cared for by the local gamekeepers.  He comes up to the public and likes to be fed, so we all had a shot at patting him and feeding him some breakfast.  This made us hungry too, so we headed back to the lodge ready for some food.  You’d think we learnt our lesson the night before – nope, our stomachs although in our minds empty, just wouldn’t fit one of everything!!  After breaky we went back and relaxed for a few hours.  So right now, we’re preparing for our last team meeting and our afternoon game drive, then some of us will head out yet again tonight on the night drive….
Tomorrow we’ll have a morning drive and then head back to the airport after lunch.
Then, it’s back to reality for (almost) all of us…
Thanks again for reading and praying. It’s been a great trip and a great team!!

Andrew B.   - Pics below.

Breaky at Entebbe airport carpark


Sunrise at Entebbe airport
Waiting for driver #2 at Nairobi
At the equator on the way to safari

Roughing it at Sweet waters camp!!
Early morning 'zebra crossing'!

She got close..  cool!

Rhino feeding

Rhinos in the wild..

Our lioness wandering off..

The 'party' bus!!

No comments: